From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Very OT - Displaylink adapter and setting up X
Date: Sat, 06 Jul 2013 17:33:15
1 On 07/06/2013 01:31 PM, Michael Mol wrote:
2 > On 03/14/2012 08:11 AM, Robert David wrote:
3 >> V Mon, 12 Mar 2012 17:24:47 -0500
4 >> Michael Sullivan <msulli1355@×××××.com> napsáno:
5 >>
6 >>> I feel really stupid asking this, but I want to use an HDMI component
7 >>> to output one of my PCs to the TV set. I've followed all of the wiki
8 >>> entry at http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/DisplayLink, but there's
9 >>> something else I need to know. I get the green screen on the TV that
10 >>> it mentions when the kernel module is being loaded correctly. The
11 >>> problem is that I use gdm in /etc/conf.d/xdm DISPLAYMANAGER variable
12 >>> to start X, and I don't know where the actual gdm configuration lives
13 >>> so I can tell it to use ~/.xinitrc2 from the wiki. My google
14 >>> searching hasn't been going well. Can anybody give me any hints as to
15 >>> how to make progress on this problem?
16 >>>
17 >> Hi Michael,
18 >>
19 >> it depends on how you would like to use the external card. Please
20 >> specify your scenario.
21 > So my laptop has a built-in display and a VGA output. While working, I
22 > use both. In fact, here's the content of the script I run when logging
23 > in to arrange things the way I like them:
24 >
25 > #!/bin/sh
26 > xrandr --output LVDS1 --auto
27 > xrandr --output VGA1 --off # Force a full reset of VGA1
28 > xrandr --output VGA1 --left-of LVDS1 --auto
31 > Let's say I were able to set up the DisplayLink adapter using "xrandr
32 > --output FBUSB1 --auto". The effect I'm looking for could then be
33 > achieved via:
34 >
35 > #!/bin/sh
36 > xrandr --output LVDS1 --auto
37 > xrandr --output VGA1 --off
38 > xrandr --output VGA1 --left-of LVDS1 --auto
39 > xrandr --output FBUSB1 --off
40 > xrandr --output FBUSB1 --left-of VGA1 --auto
41 >
42 > In effect, I want all three displays arranged as part of the same
43 > extended desktop with xinerama. (xinerama is pretty explicitly part of
44 > my workflow, as one thing I often do is have 3-4 remote desktops active
45 > *per local display*, and I drag them around as necessary.
46 >
47 >> Anyway, try to look in /etc/gdm, /etc/init.d/xdm, /etc/X11 (there can
48 >> be specified which server start in file xdm/Xservers)
49 >>
50 >> I have DL adapter connected to my docking station and a simple script
51 >> to activate the second xserver on docking and deactivate that when
52 >> undocking. I simply run here second desktop using x2x. I just use that
53 >> primary for web browser, so I dont need xinerama.
54 >>
55 >> You can also use DL with your primary card and xinerama. But it needs
56 >> specific xorg.conf and needs to be connected when xserver starting. So
57 >> nothing suitable for notebook and hotplug.
58 > This latter scenario is what I'd be interested in. I'd have no
59 > complaints if I needed it plugged in when X started; that's fine, if a
60 > bit weird. (though it couldn't be done via xrandr? Seriously?)
61 >
62 > I don't do anything with hotplug, really. I don't use PulseAudio, I
63 > don't use GNOME, KDE or udev automount. About the only automagic thing I
64 > use is NetworkManager (and even that fails to notice when the laptop's
65 > moved five miles away from the AP it was connected to.).
69 Whups. That was the wrong thread. :)