From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Very OT - Displaylink adapter and setting up X
Date: Sat, 06 Jul 2013 17:31:40
1 On 03/14/2012 08:11 AM, Robert David wrote:
2 > V Mon, 12 Mar 2012 17:24:47 -0500
3 > Michael Sullivan <msulli1355@×××××.com> napsáno:
4 >
5 >> I feel really stupid asking this, but I want to use an HDMI component
6 >> to output one of my PCs to the TV set. I've followed all of the wiki
7 >> entry at http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/DisplayLink, but there's
8 >> something else I need to know. I get the green screen on the TV that
9 >> it mentions when the kernel module is being loaded correctly. The
10 >> problem is that I use gdm in /etc/conf.d/xdm DISPLAYMANAGER variable
11 >> to start X, and I don't know where the actual gdm configuration lives
12 >> so I can tell it to use ~/.xinitrc2 from the wiki. My google
13 >> searching hasn't been going well. Can anybody give me any hints as to
14 >> how to make progress on this problem?
15 >>
16 > Hi Michael,
17 >
18 > it depends on how you would like to use the external card. Please
19 > specify your scenario.
20
21 So my laptop has a built-in display and a VGA output. While working, I
22 use both. In fact, here's the content of the script I run when logging
23 in to arrange things the way I like them:
24
25 #!/bin/sh
26 xrandr --output LVDS1 --auto
27 xrandr --output VGA1 --off # Force a full reset of VGA1
28 xrandr --output VGA1 --left-of LVDS1 --auto
31 Let's say I were able to set up the DisplayLink adapter using "xrandr
32 --output FBUSB1 --auto". The effect I'm looking for could then be
33 achieved via:
34
35 #!/bin/sh
36 xrandr --output LVDS1 --auto
37 xrandr --output VGA1 --off
38 xrandr --output VGA1 --left-of LVDS1 --auto
39 xrandr --output FBUSB1 --off
40 xrandr --output FBUSB1 --left-of VGA1 --auto
41
42 In effect, I want all three displays arranged as part of the same
43 extended desktop with xinerama. (xinerama is pretty explicitly part of
44 my workflow, as one thing I often do is have 3-4 remote desktops active
45 *per local display*, and I drag them around as necessary.
46
47 > Anyway, try to look in /etc/gdm, /etc/init.d/xdm, /etc/X11 (there can
48 > be specified which server start in file xdm/Xservers)
49 >
50 > I have DL adapter connected to my docking station and a simple script
51 > to activate the second xserver on docking and deactivate that when
52 > undocking. I simply run here second desktop using x2x. I just use that
53 > primary for web browser, so I dont need xinerama.
54 >
55 > You can also use DL with your primary card and xinerama. But it needs
56 > specific xorg.conf and needs to be connected when xserver starting. So
57 > nothing suitable for notebook and hotplug.
58
59 This latter scenario is what I'd be interested in. I'd have no
60 complaints if I needed it plugged in when X started; that's fine, if a
61 bit weird. (though it couldn't be done via xrandr? Seriously?)
62
63 I don't do anything with hotplug, really. I don't use PulseAudio, I
64 don't use GNOME, KDE or udev automount. About the only automagic thing I
65 use is NetworkManager (and even that fails to notice when the laptop's
66 moved five miles away from the AP it was connected to.).