From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: kde wont log in user
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 16:03:33
1 Neil Bothwick <neil <at> digimed.co.uk> writes:
4 > On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 22:38:27 +0000 (UTC), James wrote:
5 >
6 > > Well I just updated a laptop that had not been updated for
7 > > 8 months.
8 > >
9 > > It's all fine, except I cannot log in via the kde menu
10 >
11 > You need to give a better description. By the KDE menu, do you mean the
12 > kdm login screen? What happens when you try to log in, does it reject
13 > your username/password, does it try to open a KDE desktop and then fall
14 > back to kdm or does kdm not open a login screen in the first place? "I
15 > cannot login" tells us nothing.]
16
17 Ok, I do not know what it is called. I'm running kde-meta 4.3.3
18 It's the kde screen where you put your login and passwd.
19 It flashes for a second or 2, like the passwd is accepted, but
20 kde cannot start.
23 If I do not auto start kdm via rc-update, then I can log in as a user
24 and X starts (twm?).
25
26 I can also ssh into the system so the user passwd is ok.
29 > Before you reply, take a look for anything useful in /var/log/kdm.log.
32 Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server
33 error setting MTRR (base = 0xe0000000, size = 0x01000000, type = 1) Invalid
34 argument (22)
35 (EE) GLX error: Can not get required symbols.
36 (EE) XKB: No components provided for device Virtual core keyboard
37 The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:
38 > Warning: Multiple names for keycode 211
39 > Using <I211>, ignoring <AB11>
40 Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server
41 The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:
42 > Warning: Multiple names for keycode 211
43 > Using <I211>, ignoring <AB11>
44 Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server
45 The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:
46 > Warning: Multiple names for keycode 211
47 > Using <I211>, ignoring <AB11>
48 Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server
51 Maybe a keyboard error? I have ran this several times:
52 emerge -D1 $(qlist -I -C x11-drivers)
53
54 No xorg.conf file in use:
55 x11-base/xorg-x11-7.4-r1
56 x11-base/xorg-server-1.6.5-r1