From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: kde wont log in user
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2010 20:23:00
1 On Friday 15 January 2010 15:25:09 James wrote:
2 > Neil Bothwick <neil <at> digimed.co.uk> writes:
3 > > On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 22:38:27 +0000 (UTC), James wrote:
4
5 > Ok, I do not know what it is called.
6
7 It's called the kdm login manager (it is a Display Manager).
8
9 > I'm running kde-meta 4.3.3
10 > It's the kde screen where you put your login and passwd.
11 > It flashes for a second or 2, like the passwd is accepted, but
12 > kde cannot start.
15 > If I do not auto start kdm via rc-update, then I can log in as a user
16 > and X starts (twm?).
17
18 I suspect that you probably have fallen victim to the great conspiracy of
19 baselayout doing away with rc.conf and not screaming it LOUD ENOUGH to make
20 sure that we set up the XSESSION variable so that the appropriate windows
21 manager/DE is selected. See more here:
22
23 http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.user/224058
24
25 > I can also ssh into the system so the user passwd is ok.
26
27 Yep, I suspect xdm is not calling the correct display manager.
28
29 > > Before you reply, take a look for anything useful in /var/log/kdm.log.
30 >
31 > Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server
32 [snip ...]
33
34 > Ideas?
35 >
36 > James
37
38 I suggest that you create the file /etc/env.d/90xsession. Mine has this in
39 it:
40
41 XSESSION="fluxbox"
42
43 You should probably replace fluxbox with kdm. Also, I assume that you already
44 have:
45
46 DISPLAYMANAGER="xdm"
47
48 in your /etc/conf.d/xdm file since TWM starts up.
49
50 As you can read in the thread I mention above there are other ways of making
51 sure that the correct display manager is called. You could try one of those
52 if things do not work out as expected.
53
54 HTH.
55 --
56 Regards,