From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Quoting styles
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 12:43:49
1 Dale schreef:
2 > Alexander Skwar wrote:
3 >
4 >> Dale schrieb:
5 >>
6 >>> Well I have to have HTML because I use email for a LOT more than
7 >>> just this list.
8 >>
9 >> And why do you need HTML there?
10 >>
11 >> Anyway, Mozilla/Thunderbird makes it very easy to decide if HTML is
12 >> used or not - when you set the default to text/plain, you hold
13 >> down shift while you click on the Compose, Reply, Reply All or
14 >> Forward button. This will then create an HTML mail.
17 > Because I send pictures and make my text have color and all that
18 > stuff. Ain't that HTML? Ain't no list getting between me and my
19 > lady. No way!
22 Who said anything about 'getting between you and your lady'? That's
23 *personal* mail, and this list, nor any other list, cares what you do in
24 your personal mail. But mail sent to this list is *public* mail, and
25 such public mail has preferences for display and use so that it can
26 reach the widest area of public view possible-- those who read the list
27 via text readers, those who read it via newsgroups (some of which do not
28 accept/display HTML), those who read it via webmail (and some of those
29 don't display HTML either, or only do so with certain browsers, which
30 any given person may or may not be using at that moment), those who read
31 the archives, those who filter it, those who thread it, those who do not
32 have much time and only want to read what they are interested in, and
33 are not going to be scrolling and trimming just to do you a favor...
34 don't forget, you are asking for *help from a stranger*-- that's a
35 "favor" in anybody's book.
36
37 Both Alexander and I have shown you how you can 'fix' mail for *this
38 list only*, without bothering any of your other mail, where you can, as
39 I said, do what you like. Nobody cares, or if they do, it's their
40 problem to tell you about.
41
42 But if you want us to help you, for free, out of the kindness of our
43 hearts, it's not only polite to consider our relatively mild and minor
44 conditions, but worse, it's *impolite* to reject them so violently.
45
46 Getting on the bad side of those you want aid and succor from is
47 simply.... dim, in strategic terms. Strategically, as the person who
48 needs help, you want to make it as easy as possible for as many people
49 as possible to read *and understand* your mail, so that they can answer
50 your question. And yes, that means plain-text to reduce irrelevant data
51 and bandwidth; it means appropriately trimming, to reduce wasted time;
52 it means proper subjects and not hijacking threads.
53
54 You are of course free to ignore these mild conditions, but you may well
55 find that your question goes unanswered, because the people who could
56 answer it could not or would not read your post (they couldn't
57 understand it because it was in the middle of a mixed top- and bottom-
58 posted thread; it was in HTML and they use mutt; it was a
59 hijack-by-subject name of a thread they had filtered so they never saw
60 it; you are now on their 'ignore' list because you're snarking so
61 severely over something so stupid, and they don't read any of your posts).
62
63 I myself prefer success (getting my question answered) to the 'moral
64 high ground' of "doing things the way I want them within a community
65 setting and be damned to the rest of you", but if you prefer it the
66 other way around, that is your right, and you can have the consequences
67 as well, for all of me.
68
69 But, whatever. I'm really out of this. It's too ridiculous.
70
71 Holly
72 --
73 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list