From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Certain network activity stops the network
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2008 10:11:45
1 On Saturday 27 December 2008 11:29:08 Mick wrote:
2 > On Friday 26 December 2008, Grant wrote:
3 > > I have 3 Gentoo systems on a wireless network, one of which is the
4 > > firewall/router. Sometimes any traffic to one of the systems
5 > > effectively freezes traffic on the whole network. Does anyone know
6 > > what might cause that? It's tough to investigate because it doesn't
7 > > happen all the time.
8 >
9 > Not sure if it is remotely related to your problem, but I've noticed
10 > something similar happening when I was using a Netgear DG834 router and
11 > happened to start up a box with a gigabit ethernet card (everything else
12 > was 10T-100). While the gigabit card was negotiating speeds with the router
13 > everything else was unable to use the network. That could last for up to a
14 > minute or so. When I changed router the problem went away.
15
16 +1
17
18 I've seen and heard the same from others too. Some cheapish 4 and 8 port
19 routers don't handle gigabit well. I've seen some lock up solid when trying
20 to cope, I've seen some only lock up on certain ports. So it's worth trying
21 another port or another router.
22
23 From the outside it certainly looks like crappy programming/drivers on the
24 router
27 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com