From: "Hemmann
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Help - system reboots while compiling
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 16:52:10
1 On Montag, 12. Februar 2007, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Sunday 11 February 2007, Jeff Rollin wrote:
3 > > On 11/02/07, Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > > > I would go with Hammann with
5 > > > "Make sure, that it is overheating and not a weak/dying PSU."
6 > > >
7 > > > Many people neglect to realise how important a decent PSU is, and
8 > > > how major an effect it can have on systems. A dodgy PSU in my
9 > > > experience can do everything from -CAUSING- overheating, to random
10 > > > shutoffs, and MURDERING hard drives.
11 > > > I had one which killed 3 Hard Drives before I realised thats what
12 > > > the problem was, and the last hard drive was so cooked it didn't
13 > > > even spin up.
14 > > >
15 > > > --
16 > >
17 > > Joy. I should certainly hope it is NOT the PSU as it is new, and
18 > > replaced a dead one.
19 > >
20 > > ("New" as in "bought sometime in the summer")
21 >
22 > fwiw,
23 >
24 > I've given up on the consumer electronics industry being able to
25 > consistently build high quality power supplies for ANYTHING that plugs
26 > into the mains. The normal build quality is terrible, and the ability
27 > of the designer to do the job leaves much to be desired. It almost
28 > looks like the things are deisnged to be "good enough to just make it
29 > past a years warranty"
30 >
31 > Saying you might have a dodgy and new psu surprises me about as much as
32 > saying that the sky is blue and water is wet....
35 > alan
38 If you can read german (or if you know someone who is able to translate it for
39 you):
40
41 http://hardware.thgweb.de/2007/01/15/stresstest_netzteile_2007/index.html
42
43 Luckily, I own the same enermax they tested...
44 --
45 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list