From: Alan McKinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Help - system reboots while compiling
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 07:50:11
1 On Sunday 11 February 2007, Jeff Rollin wrote:
2 > On 11/02/07, Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > I would go with Hammann with
4 > > "Make sure, that it is overheating and not a weak/dying PSU."
5 > >
6 > > Many people neglect to realise how important a decent PSU is, and
7 > > how major an effect it can have on systems. A dodgy PSU in my
8 > > experience can do everything from -CAUSING- overheating, to random
9 > > shutoffs, and MURDERING hard drives.
10 > > I had one which killed 3 Hard Drives before I realised thats what
11 > > the problem was, and the last hard drive was so cooked it didn't
12 > > even spin up.
13 > >
14 > > --
15 >
16 > Joy. I should certainly hope it is NOT the PSU as it is new, and
17 > replaced a dead one.
18 >
19 > ("New" as in "bought sometime in the summer")
20
21 fwiw,
22
23 I've given up on the consumer electronics industry being able to
24 consistently build high quality power supplies for ANYTHING that plugs
25 into the mains. The normal build quality is terrible, and the ability
26 of the designer to do the job leaves much to be desired. It almost
27 looks like the things are deisnged to be "good enough to just make it
28 past a years warranty"
29
30 Saying you might have a dodgy and new psu surprises me about as much as
31 saying that the sky is blue and water is wet....
34 alan
37 Optimists say the glass is half full,
38 Pessimists say the glass is half empty,
39 Developers say wtf is the glass twice as big as it needs to be?
40
41 Alan McKinnon
42 alan at linuxholdings dot co dot za
43 +27 82, double three seven, one nine three five
44 --
45 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list