From: Mark Kirkwood <markir@××××××××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Help - system reboots while compiling
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 09:05:48
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Sunday 11 February 2007, Jeff Rollin wrote:
3 >> On 11/02/07, Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>> I would go with Hammann with
5 >>> "Make sure, that it is overheating and not a weak/dying PSU."
6 >>>
7 >>> Many people neglect to realise how important a decent PSU is, and
8 >>> how major an effect it can have on systems. A dodgy PSU in my
9 >>> experience can do everything from -CAUSING- overheating, to random
10 >>> shutoffs, and MURDERING hard drives.
11 >>> I had one which killed 3 Hard Drives before I realised thats what
12 >>> the problem was, and the last hard drive was so cooked it didn't
13 >>> even spin up.
14 >>>
15 >>> --
16 >> Joy. I should certainly hope it is NOT the PSU as it is new, and
17 >> replaced a dead one.
18 >>
19 >> ("New" as in "bought sometime in the summer")
20 >
21 > fwiw,
22 >
23 > I've given up on the consumer electronics industry being able to
24 > consistently build high quality power supplies for ANYTHING that plugs
25 > into the mains. The normal build quality is terrible, and the ability
26 > of the designer to do the job leaves much to be desired. It almost
27 > looks like the things are deisnged to be "good enough to just make it
28 > past a years warranty"
29 >
30 > Saying you might have a dodgy and new psu surprises me about as much as
31 > saying that the sky is blue and water is wet....
34 While I generally agree, not *all* manufacturers provide rubbish for
35 us... e.g in the current context Zalman PSUs are very good quality
36 (robust and quiet), and if you hunt around a bit even some of the less
37 spectacular brands have their moments (e.g I have a couple of
38 Thermaltake 560W PSUs that are very good).
39
40 Cheers
41
42 Mark