From: Alan McKinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Help - system reboots while compiling
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 10:25:25
1 On Monday 12 February 2007, Mark Kirkwood wrote:
2 > > I've given up on the consumer electronics industry being able to
3 > > consistently build high quality power supplies for ANYTHING that
4 > > plugs into the mains. The normal build quality is terrible, and the
5 > > ability of the designer to do the job leaves much to be desired. It
6 > > almost looks like the things are deisnged to be "good enough to
7 > > just make it past a years warranty"
8 > >
9 > > Saying you might have a dodgy and new psu surprises me about as
10 > > much as saying that the sky is blue and water is wet....
11 >
12 > While I generally agree, not *all* manufacturers provide rubbish for
13 > us... e.g in the current context Zalman PSUs are very good quality
14 > (robust and quiet), and if you hunt around a bit even some of the
15 > less spectacular brands have their moments (e.g I have a couple of
16 > Thermaltake 560W PSUs that are very good).
17
18 True enough, but I was careful to qualify what I said :-)
19
20 I said "consumer electronics", that's the bargain / reasonably priced
21 stuff that you find in your local electronics/pc store. You do get
22 decent stuff out there but it's in a different class and "consumer
23 grade" isn't a good descriptor
24
25 alan
28 Optimists say the glass is half full,
29 Pessimists say the glass is half empty,
30 Developers say wtf is the glass twice as big as it needs to be?
31
32 Alan McKinnon
33 alan at linuxholdings dot co dot za
34 +27 82, double three seven, one nine three five
35 --
36 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list