From: Dave Nebinger <dnebinger@××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Getting distribution name and release version
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 00:54:46
1 On Tuesday 18 October 2005 08:32 pm, Phill MV wrote:
2 > That just leaves me with one question: is it really legally binding? Is it
3 > actually forseeable that someone might give me a hard time for say posting
4 > such an email verbatim on a website?
5
6 Legally binding, maybe But enforcable, hardly. Had the individual mailed you
7 directly and you published it to the web, then you would have been violating
8 the original intent of the sender, to establish a protected conversation
9 between the two of you (or, from the company's perspective, to share
10 privileged information with you, which you then made public).
11
12 However, as the OP posted his message to the mailing list which is of course
13 archived, republished as digests, and generally available from the website.
14 So there was no intent on his/their part to discretely share information with
15 one or a few individuals.
16
17 Look at the guy that just got busted for releasing early information on some
18 apple product (the ipod mini, I think?) There's an example of what can
19 happen if you share info that is given to you by a corporate entity and you
20 go spreading it around.
21
22 But once the individual/company make it public (ala posting a message like
23 that to the list), it no longer carries privilege with it, unless of course
24 it contained information that you used in some way to develop a competing
25 product/service, at which point you've opened a different can of worms...
26 --
27 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list