From: Phill MV <hiffyness@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Getting distribution name and release version
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 04:13:58
1 > Legally binding, maybe But enforcable, hardly. Had the individual mailed
2 > you
3 > directly and you published it to the web, then you would have been
4 > violating
5 > the original intent of the sender, to establish a protected conversation
6 > between the two of you (or, from the company's perspective, to share
7 > privileged information with you, which you then made public).
11 Well, it's just weird. What if said person is engaging in harassment? Is it
12 then illegal to go about spam if they include the little disclaimer? It
13 doesn't make sense to me :P but oh well.
14
15 However, as the OP posted his message to the mailing list which is of course
16 > archived, republished as digests, and generally available from the
17 > website.
18 > So there was no intent on his/their part to discretely share information
19 > with
20 > one or a few individuals.
21 >
22 > Look at the guy that just got busted for releasing early information on
23 > some
24 > apple product (the ipod mini, I think?) There's an example of what can
25 > happen if you share info that is given to you by a corporate entity and
26 > you
27 > go spreading it around.
31 That's a different case. IIRC the guy who leaked the info on the iPod
32 shuffle/Mac mini broke an NDA he signed with Apple - which is then perfectly
33 legal. Trade secrets and the like, I suppose.
34
35 But once the individual/company make it public (ala posting a message like
36 > that to the list), it no longer carries privilege with it, unless of
37 > course
38 > it contained information that you used in some way to develop a