From: Dave Nebinger <dnebinger@××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Getting distribution name and release version
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 05:01:39
1 On Wednesday 19 October 2005 12:09 am, Phill MV wrote:
2 > Well, it's just weird. What if said person is engaging in harassment?
3
4 That's a separate can of worms altogether. First you'd have to prove to the
5 court that you are actually getting harrassed. A statement like the one
6 automagically appended would have nothing to do with that situation.
7
8 > Is it
9 > then illegal to go about spam if they include the little disclaimer?
10
11 Well, I think that's different as well. The spammers want you to share the
12 spam with your friends/family/coworkers as they want the clicks/sales.
13
14 A statement like the one that was on the OPs email would suggest that sort of
15 thing was not wanted...
16
17 > It
18 > doesn't make sense to me :P but oh well.
19
20 Me either. I'm pretty much a novice when it comes to the law, but I've been
21 known to crack open a few books when necessary.
22
23 Basically it's a CYA move by the companies to allow for litigation should one
24 of their employees let something slip...
25
26 > That's a different case. IIRC the guy who leaked the info on the iPod
27 > shuffle/Mac mini broke an NDA he signed with Apple - which is then
28 > perfectly legal. Trade secrets and the like, I suppose.
29
30 But I think had that been an internal apple employee that sent it to an
31 individual without an NDA, just a buddy he wanted to give a heads up to, and
32 that buddy posted it on the net, the court may look at the wording of the
33 blurb and apply a similar ruling.
34
35 Then again, the whole thing might get thrown out by the court, but by that
36 time you're bankrupt because you try to stand up for yourself.
37 --
38 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list