From: Bill Longman <bill.longman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Problems booting my server - ext2 - e2fsck
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 13:45:49
1 On 07/28/2010 01:50 AM, KH wrote:
2 > Am 25.07.2010 15:57, schrieb Mick:
3 >> On Sunday 25 July 2010 09:18:33 Dale wrote:
4 >>> Alan McKinnon wrote:
5 >>>> On Sunday 25 July 2010 06:57:43 KH wrote:
6 >>>>>> You said you ran e2fsck and it was OK. What was the command?
7 >>>>>>
8 >>>>>>
9 >>>>>>
10 >>>>>> Normally with an e2fsck on a journalled fs, the app will replay the
11 >>>>>> journal and make a few minor checks. This takes about 4 seconds, not
12 >>>>>> the 40 minutes it takes to do a ful ext2 check.
13 >>>>>>
14 >>>>>>
15 >>>>>>
16 >>>>>> I think you might need to fsck without the journal. I know there's a
17 >>>>>> way to do this but a cursory glance at the man page didn't reveal it.
18 >>>>>> Maybe an ext user will chip in with the correct method
19 >>>>>
20 >>>>> Hi,
21 >>>>>
22 >>>>> I ran on the two partitions e2fsck /dev/sde3 as well as fsck.ext3
23 >>>>> /dev/sde3 . Yes, it only took some seconds.
24 >>>>
25 >>>> It's been a long time since I used ext3 so some of this might be wrong.
26 >>>>
27 >>>> An fsck that takes a few seconds is using the journal, which might not
28 >>>> uncover deeper corruption. You should try disabling the journal (I
29 >>>> couldn't find the way to do that though), but this will also work:
30 >>>>
31 >>>> Boot of a LiveCD, mount your root partition somewhere using type "ext2"
32 >>>> and fsck it. This will invalidate the journal but that's OK, it gets
33 >>>> recreated on the next proper boot. Let the fsck finish - it will take a
34 >>>> while on a large fs.
35 >>>>
36 >>>> When done, reboot as normal and see if the machine boots up properly.
37 >>>
38 >>> And I would stand guard to make sure housekeeping doesn't come around.
39 >>> ;-) Cutting power during all this wold not be good.
40 >>
41 >> KH, I think that this may not be related to a fs error as such.
42 >>
43 >> Yes, pulling the plug may have caused fs corruption. However, more likely is
44 >> that pulling the plug did not allow you to do something that you should have
45 >> done after you finished upgrading to grub-0.97-r9. The latest installation of
46 >> grub asks you to reinstall in the MBR and point its root to wherever your
47 >> /boot is. GRUB's fs and its drivers may have changed and therefore the old
48 >> boot loader code is looking for files that no longer exist.
49 >>
50 >> So you'll probably be alright again if you boot with a fresh systemrescue
51 >> LiveCD and run grub and then root (hd....) and setup (hd0) before you quit and
52 >> reboot.
53 >>
54 >> If that doesn't work then you most likely have a fs problem.
55 >>
56 >> HTH.
57 >
58 > Hi,
59 >
60 > I installed grub by connecting the hdd to my workstation. This did not
61 > change anything.
62 > Also I changed /etc/fstab . Now I have 0 0 for every partition. The pc
63 > boots fine now. I can use it but ... There is no /dev/hd* . Running
64 > mount /boot I get the answer /dev/hda1 does not exist. Also there is no
65 > /dev/sd*
66 >
67 > Any ideas?
68
69 Konstantin, please post what your kernel has for IDE support. If you
70 have /proc/config.gz, then please post the results from "zgrep IDE
71 /proc/config.gz" so we can get an idea of why you have no /dev/hd*
72 devices. We will also need to know what kind of disk controller your
73 server really has. Are they IDE or SATA controllers?