From: KH <gentoo-user@××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Problems booting my server - ext2 - e2fsck
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 08:51:07
1 Am 25.07.2010 15:57, schrieb Mick:
2 > On Sunday 25 July 2010 09:18:33 Dale wrote:
3 >> Alan McKinnon wrote:
4 >>> On Sunday 25 July 2010 06:57:43 KH wrote:
5 >>>>> You said you ran e2fsck and it was OK. What was the command?
6 >>>>>
7 >>>>>
8 >>>>>
9 >>>>> Normally with an e2fsck on a journalled fs, the app will replay the
10 >>>>> journal and make a few minor checks. This takes about 4 seconds, not
11 >>>>> the 40 minutes it takes to do a ful ext2 check.
12 >>>>>
13 >>>>>
14 >>>>>
15 >>>>> I think you might need to fsck without the journal. I know there's a
16 >>>>> way to do this but a cursory glance at the man page didn't reveal it.
17 >>>>> Maybe an ext user will chip in with the correct method
18 >>>>
19 >>>> Hi,
20 >>>>
21 >>>> I ran on the two partitions e2fsck /dev/sde3 as well as fsck.ext3
22 >>>> /dev/sde3 . Yes, it only took some seconds.
23 >>>
24 >>> It's been a long time since I used ext3 so some of this might be wrong.
25 >>>
26 >>> An fsck that takes a few seconds is using the journal, which might not
27 >>> uncover deeper corruption. You should try disabling the journal (I
28 >>> couldn't find the way to do that though), but this will also work:
29 >>>
30 >>> Boot of a LiveCD, mount your root partition somewhere using type "ext2"
31 >>> and fsck it. This will invalidate the journal but that's OK, it gets
32 >>> recreated on the next proper boot. Let the fsck finish - it will take a
33 >>> while on a large fs.
34 >>>
35 >>> When done, reboot as normal and see if the machine boots up properly.
36 >>
37 >> And I would stand guard to make sure housekeeping doesn't come around.
38 >> ;-) Cutting power during all this wold not be good.
39 >
40 > KH, I think that this may not be related to a fs error as such.
41 >
42 > Yes, pulling the plug may have caused fs corruption. However, more likely is
43 > that pulling the plug did not allow you to do something that you should have
44 > done after you finished upgrading to grub-0.97-r9. The latest installation of
45 > grub asks you to reinstall in the MBR and point its root to wherever your
46 > /boot is. GRUB's fs and its drivers may have changed and therefore the old
47 > boot loader code is looking for files that no longer exist.
48 >
49 > So you'll probably be alright again if you boot with a fresh systemrescue
50 > LiveCD and run grub and then root (hd....) and setup (hd0) before you quit and
51 > reboot.
52 >
53 > If that doesn't work then you most likely have a fs problem.
54 >
55 > HTH.
56
57 Hi,
58
59 I installed grub by connecting the hdd to my workstation. This did not
60 change anything.
61 Also I changed /etc/fstab . Now I have 0 0 for every partition. The pc
62 boots fine now. I can use it but ... There is no /dev/hd* . Running
63 mount /boot I get the answer /dev/hda1 does not exist. Also there is no
64 /dev/sd*
65
66 Any ideas?
67