From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Problems booting my server - ext2 - e2fsck
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 13:42:35
1 On 28 July 2010 09:50, KH <gentoo-user@××××××××××××××××.de> wrote:
2
3 > I installed grub by connecting the hdd to my workstation. This did not
4 > change anything.
5 > Also I changed /etc/fstab . Now I have 0 0 for every partition. The pc
6 > boots fine now. I can use it but ... There is no /dev/hd* . Running
7 > mount /boot I get the answer /dev/hda1 does not exist. Also there is no
8 > /dev/sd*
9 >
10 > Any ideas?
11
12 KH, if you have changed the kernel to use libATA (i.e. the newer
13 SATA/PATA options) then you need to update your fstab from /dev/hdaX
14 to /dev/sdaX and change your grub.conf accordingly.
15
16 PS. When you install GRUB use tab completion to see what's available
17 and make sure you install it in the correct drive/partition.
18
19 PPS. Peter, I installed the kernel option for [*] ATA SFF support and
20 corresponding chipset (ICH) for my P4 and it now boots fine. So I
21 suggest that you use lshw to find which chipset you must activate
22 under ATA SFF (unless you have one of the more modern <*> AHCI SATA
23 support controllers like I have on my i7 Dell).
24 --
25 Regards,
26 Mick