From: Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.heinrichs@××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Encrypting everything
Date: Sun, 05 Jul 2009 18:36:29
1 Am Sonntag 05 Juli 2009 20:26:23 schrieb Alex Schuster:
2
3 > > The LUKS key isn't stored as cleartext, it's encrypted.
4 >
5 > Um, I mean the passphrase I specify with --key-file to cryptsetup. Or which
6 > would be asked at the prompt if I would not give it.
7
8 OK, now I get it. But those are two different beasts. The keyfile is usually one
9 that consists of random data (created by reading from /dev/urandom). If you
10 don't protect that by some means, you don't gain any security.
11
12 The one you're asked for at the prompt is more like a password/-phrase.
13
14 So here's what I do, as an example:
15
16 I've got a small unencrypted /boot which holds the kernel and enough Linux to
17 open the LUKS encrypted root LV. So I'm prompted for the passphrase to unlock
18 it. Once unlocked and mounted, I get access to the random data keyfile stored
19 in /etc which is used to unlock all other LVs automatically.
20
21 Bye...
22
23 Dirk