From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Encrypting everything
Date: Sun, 05 Jul 2009 18:26:29
1 Dirk Heinrichs writes:
2
3 > Am Sonntag 05 Juli 2009 19:53:20 schrieb Alex Schuster:
4 > > Right :) I didn't want my LUKS key to be in clear-text
5 >
6 > The LUKS key isn't stored as cleartext, it's encrypted.
7
8 Um, I mean the passphrase I specify with --key-file to cryptsetup. Or which
9 would be asked at the prompt if I would not give it.
10
11 > > even if it's in a
12 > > binary file on some server which probably no one will ever see and
13 > > identify as a boot partition. I have my GPG secret key in different
14 > > locations, not only on the encrypted PC we are talking about.
15 >
16 > With LUKS, there is no need for GPG. I always wonder why people do that
17 > GPG stuff when using LUKS.
18
19 No, my LUKS setup does not make use of GPG. But the backup of my boot
20 partition, residing on a server somewhere, is encrypted with GPG.
21
22 Wonko