From: Robert Cernansky <hslists2@××××××.sk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re[2]: [gentoo-user] xorg-x11 screwup
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2006 16:46:44
1 On Tue, 04 Jul 2006 09:37:45 +1200 Nick Rout <nick@×××××××.nz> wrote:
2
3 NR>
4 NR> On Mon, 03 Jul 2006 06:30:39 +0100
5 NR> Graham Murray wrote:
6 NR>
7 NR> > Maybe what is needed is an enhancement to portage to allow the removal
8 NR> > of a meta-package to (optionally) also remove the 'real' packages
9 NR> > which it caused to be installed.
10 NR>
11 NR> ummmm think about this.
12 NR>
13 NR> new system, no gui installed.
14 NR>
15 NR> I install kde-meta, which installs xorg-x11 as a dependency.
16 NR>
17 NR> I decide I want gnome, I install gnome which doesn't install xorg,
18 NR> because it is already installed.
19 NR>
20 NR> I decide I do not want kde because i prefer gnome. I unsinstall
21 NR> kde-meta. Under your scheme it would also uninstall xorg-x11. But that
22 NR> is not what you want!
23
24 Hmm, it can be done with "garbage collector principe". Each
25 package will have counter which increases when some package which depend on
26 it is installed. Decreased, when the package is uninstalled. If counter is
27 zero, "dependency" package can be uninstalled along with package specified
28 for uninstalling.
29
30 Robert
34 Robert Cernansky