From: Nick Rout <nick@×××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] xorg-x11 screwup
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2006 21:47:36
1 On Mon, 03 Jul 2006 06:30:39 +0100
2 Graham Murray wrote:
3
4 > "W.Kenworthy" <billk@×××××××××.au> writes:
5 >
6 > > yes I hit it too - back before it hit stable. It seemed that going xorg
7 > > modular is a one way trip as you cant remove modular xorg easily unless
8 > > you keep an independent record of every package installed. I was pissed
9 > > because modular didnt work and I couldnt uninstall it! Eventually
10 > > updates caught up with and fixed the problem, but in the meantime I had
11 > > an unusable system. I realised the problem when I coulnt even downgrade
12 > > from 7.1 to 7.0 - this loss of control is a major pita with modular X.
13 >
14 > Maybe what is needed is an enhancement to portage to allow the removal
15 > of a meta-package to (optionally) also remove the 'real' packages
16 > which it caused to be installed.
17
18 ummmm think about this.
19
20 new system, no gui installed.
21
22 I install kde-meta, which installs xorg-x11 as a dependency.
23
24 I decide I want gnome, I install gnome which doesn't install xorg,
25 because it is already installed.
26
27 I decide I do not want kde because i prefer gnome. I unsinstall
28 kde-meta. Under your scheme it would also uninstall xorg-x11. But that
29 is not what you want!
32 > --
33 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
36 Nick Rout <nick@×××××××.nz>