From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Incomplete mysql backup
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 19:30:41
1 On Friday 20 August 2010 05:58:49 kashani wrote:
2 > On 8/19/2010 12:03 PM, Mick wrote:
3 > > I use mysqldump to back up a database from a development environment and
4 > > upload it to a production environment.
5 > >
6 > > A couple of days ago I was surprised to see that I was getting errors as
7 > > soon as I uploaded the backed up database to the production machine! I
8 > > repeated the backup (more in disbelief than anything else) but the error
9 > > remained.
10 > >
11 > > I spent a few minutes looking around and scratching my head as to what
12 > > was amiss with it, until eventually I noticed that the recent backup was
13 > > smaller than the previous version (it should have been bigger due to
14 > > extra data that has accumulated in the database). I had another final
15 > > go in running the same good ol' mysqldump command and this time it
16 > > worked. The backup was a reasonable size and the upload restored the
17 > > application in the production environment in a good working order.
18 > >
19 > > Is there a right and a wrong way of backing up mysql? Did I do something
20 > > wrong? How should one verify that a back up is sound? (Imagine trying
21 > > to restore from that incomplete backup!)
22 >
23 > mysqldump -A --single-transaction
24 >
25 > That's usually the best way to backup if you have a single machine.
26 > Without --single-transaction you may or may not get a proper backup when
27 > using Innodb tables on a busy server.
28
29 Yes, it is a single machine (the one with the dev't environment) but it has a
30 dozen databases on it, so the -A option is not appropriate.
31
32 The engine is the default MyISAM and this made me think if it is the reason
33 that two backups in a row were incomplete. Should I be converting all tables
34 to Innodb?
35
36 The production server is separate.
37
38 > However in a busy production environment it's usually best to use a
39 > slave to do backups. Bringing LVM snapshots into the mix is also useful,
40 > but you must lock and flush Mysql in order to get a correct snapshot
41 > which makes it only an option on the slave.
42
43 Thanks kashani, I'll try the --single-transaction and see what I get. I
44 hadn't had such a hiccup for years now, so it came as a surprise to me. I was
45 thinking that I should perhaps use --lock-tables, because the --single-
46 transaction states:
47
48 "This option issues a BEGIN SQL statement before dumping data from the server"
49
50 and I don't really understand how this will affect the backup ... ?
51 --
52 Regards,
53 Mick