From: kashani <kashani-list@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Incomplete mysql backup
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 04:59:30
1 On 8/19/2010 12:03 PM, Mick wrote:
2 > I use mysqldump to back up a database from a development environment and
3 > upload it to a production environment.
4 >
5 > A couple of days ago I was surprised to see that I was getting errors as soon
6 > as I uploaded the backed up database to the production machine! I repeated
7 > the backup (more in disbelief than anything else) but the error remained.
8 >
9 > I spent a few minutes looking around and scratching my head as to what was
10 > amiss with it, until eventually I noticed that the recent backup was smaller
11 > than the previous version (it should have been bigger due to extra data that
12 > has accumulated in the database). I had another final go in running the same
13 > good ol' mysqldump command and this time it worked. The backup was a
14 > reasonable size and the upload restored the application in the production
15 > environment in a good working order.
16 >
17 > Is there a right and a wrong way of backing up mysql? Did I do something
18 > wrong? How should one verify that a back up is sound? (Imagine trying to
19 > restore from that incomplete backup!)
20
21 mysqldump -A --single-transaction
22
23 That's usually the best way to backup if you have a single machine.
24 Without --single-transaction you may or may not get a proper backup when
25 using Innodb tables on a busy server.
26
27 However in a busy production environment it's usually best to use a
28 slave to do backups. Bringing LVM snapshots into the mix is also useful,
29 but you must lock and flush Mysql in order to get a correct snapshot
30 which makes it only an option on the slave.
31
32 kashani