From: Dan Farrell <dan@×××××××××.cx>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] A Theoretical install Question
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 15:32:41
1 On Tue, 22 May 2007 08:34:16 +0200
2 "Hemmann, Volker Armin" <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de> wrote:
3
4 > On Dienstag, 22. Mai 2007, burlingk@×××××××××.mil wrote:
5 > > Ok, Here goes...
8 > > How large is the package archive for gentoo, assuming a full copy
9 > > of the portage tree, and all of the source tarballs in the
10 > > distfiles directory of the average server?
11 >
12 Bigger than you want to download, that 's almost guaranteed.
13 > >
14 > > I know this would basically be equivelent to making a local mirror
15 > > of the distrservers, and I would have to make sure that my portage
16 > > tree matches up to the files actually on the hard drive. ^^ What
17 > > other concerns would I need to look at at this point. :P
18 >
19 > you will waste a lot of bandwidth and diskspace. The mirror might
20 > hate you for it. You will have lots and lots of packages like
21 > packageX.1.1, packageX.1.1.0, packageX.1.1.1....
22 Not to mention you will spend much longer waiting for everything to
23 download then you'd have to wait for everything do download on demand.
24 It would probably be more desirable for you to keep a network-shared
25 distfiles than mirror the servers. Then there's the age-old 'static
26 hosts file' problem - just like the giant host file describing everyone
27 took longer to transfer than to become outdated back in the glorious
28 days of UNIX, it will also probably take longer to dowload all
29 distfiles ever than it will for those distfiles to become outdated. In
30 conclusion, I think this is a rather silly idea.
31 --
32 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list