From: Andrey Ponomarenko <andrewponomarenko@××××××.ru>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo hardware database
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2018 06:20:42
1 27.10.2018, 17:56, "Dale" <rdalek1967@×××××.com>:
2 > Andrey Ponomarenko wrote:
3 >>  27.10.2018, 02:18, "Dale" <rdalek1967@×××××.com>:
4 >>>  Alexey Eschenko wrote:
5 >>>>   Is there any way to disable sending some parts of the collected data?
6 >>>>   I've seen some of the last probes and found that there may be some
7 >>>>   potentially sensitive data.
8 >>>>   I don't mind to share my configuration with community but I don't want
9 >>>>   to share some logs, mountpoint data and same other info.
10 >>>  I'd like to remove a few things myself.  Some things such as file system
11 >>>  mount points and such gives clues as to what they contain.  I noticed a
12 >>>  couple other things I'd rather not include.
13 >>>
14 >>>  I noticed it builds a directory inside /root/HW_PROBE/LATEST/.  I used
15 >>>  the command hw-probe-1.4-129-x86_64.AppImage -all but left off the
16 >>>  upload part.  It collected the info but didn't send it yet.  I wonder,
17 >>>  can we delete the info from the directory it created and then leave off
18 >>>  -all but put -upload and it send only what we didn't delete.  In other
19 >>>  words, build the files, remove what we don't want sent and then send
20 >>>  what is left.  Do it in three parts instead of one.
21 >>>
22 >>>  Anyone know if that works?  Anyone who doesn't care what they send mind
23 >>>  testing it for us who want to leave out some small amounts of data?
24 >>>
25 >>>  Thanks.
26 >>>
27 >>>  Dale
28 >>>
29 >>>  :-)  :-)
30 >>  Hi Dale,
31 >>
32 >>  Please use --log-level=minimal option to collect minimal info. Please let me know if it still contains some unwanted info in this minimal mode.
33 >>
34 >>  I'll patch the tool to collect less info by default in 1.5 (you'll need to explicitly set --log-level=maximal to collect mountpoints).
35 >>
36 >>  Thanks a lot!
37 >
38 > I saw the other post and tried it without the upload option.  It still
39 > causes me some concern.  What I'd rather do, instead of you having a
40 > unique setting for myself and others with different issues, just be able
41 > to remove what we don't want included and then upload the data that
42 > remains. That would be the easiest by far option for you and other
43 > users.  If it will work that way, you won't have to change anything plus
44 > others will run up on this and know how to do it that way.  It also
45 > means that others can adjust based on their own set of concerns which
46 > may be different than mine.
47 >
48 > It did help with minimal but some things it didn't include, I was fine
49 > with sending but some things still remain that I don't.  If I remove
50 > other options and only pass -upload, will it only send the data in
51 > /root/HW_PROBE/LATEST/ or does it rebuild the file list again and then
52 > send?
53 >
54 > Dale
55 >
57
58 It will send content of /root/HW_PROBE/LATEST/ only. If you remove some file from this directory then it will not be sent until you collect it again by -all option.
59
60 But I think it's better to patch upstream code or add some option that will satisfy your needs to make the tool perform better by default w/o the need to write a wrapper script.
61
62 What unwanted files still remain in minimal mode?
63
64 Thank you.