From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Linus Torvalds on systemd
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 11:23:10
1 On 09/21/2014 07:23 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
2 > On Sun, Sep 21, 2014 at 7:45 AM, hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
3 >> Canek Peláez Valdés:
4 >>> On Sat, Sep 20, 2014 at 8:46 AM, hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
5 >>>>> • "There's still value in understanding the traditional UNIX "do one
6 >>>>> thing and do it well" model where many workflows can be done as a
7 >>>>> pipeline of simple tools each adding their own value, but let's face
8 >>>>> it, it's not how complex systems really work, and it's not how major
9 >>>>> applications have been working or been designed for a long time. It's
10 >>>>> a useful simplification, and it's still true at *some* level, but I
11 >>>>> think it's also clear that it doesn't really describe most of
12 >>>>> reality."
13 >>>>>
14 >>>>
15 >>>> He doesn't make an actual argument why useful abstraction cannot be done
16 >>>> in complex systems.
17 >>>
18 >>> He doesn't need to;
19 >>
20 >> Sure he does.
21 >
22 > No, he does not, because the link I posted was not an argument, was an
23 > interview and he was asked for his opinion, and in no moment was he
24 > asked to justify his opinion.
25 >
26 > You, on the other hand, seem to be arguing. I don't know exactly with
27 > whom, because surely is not with me.
30 Then please just refrain from answering if you don't understand how my
31 point matters in terms of systemd development, thanks.