From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Odd cron errors
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2014 13:12:40
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On 01/07/2014 11:48, Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 >> Hell list,
4 >>
5 >> I don't know when it started, but recently I've been getting error e-mails
6 >> from cron, thus:
7 >>
8 >> Password: 501 Not authorised --- Reply not authenticated
9 >>
10 >> They're all timed at 03:10:0x, i.e. one minute after cron.daily tasks are run,
11 >> and they occur at 7- or 8-day intervals. The only files in /etc/cron.daily are
12 >> logrotate and man-db, neither of which I've touched.
13 >>
14 >> I've been expiring that e-mail folder at 30 days, so I have only four
15 >> instances - I've now set the lifetime to 366 days to allow a history to build
16 >> up.
17 >>
18 >> Anyone have a clue to this? It's hardly earth-shattering, but it might be good
19 >> to find out what's going on.
22 > the error looks like an http error.
23 > Got any crons running wget, curl or lynx?
28 As many may recall, I set my system to do emails recently too. I also
29 started getting this error. The subject line is this:
30
31 Cron <root@fireball> test -x /usr/sbin/run-crons && /usr/sbin/run-c
32
33 Content of email is same as the OP posted. I'm hoping that the subject
34 line will shed some light on this. It seem cron at least triggers a
35 error of some sort.
36
37 Dale
38