From: Matt Harrison <iwasinnamuknow@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] any mythtv/set top box experts?
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 22:48:57
1 On 28/02/2011 22:06, Hamilton Silva wrote:
2 > On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 7:21 PM, Matt Harrison<iwasinnamuknow@×××××××××.com
3 >> wrote:
4 >> Hi all,
5 >>
6 >> I've recently started to set up a mythtv box for my parents. I've found a
7 >> USB DVB-T receiver which works perfectly and I've got the system up and
8 >> running on some old hardware.
9 >>
10 >> Now I've been tasked with finding something small that can sit by their TV
11 >> and do it all. I've been looking at MiniITX machines with the nVidia ION
12 >> chipset that support 720/1080 HD playback and HDMI outputs.
13 >>
14 >> My questions are concerning the digital output and remote controls. I've
15 >> only ever used HDMI/digital output on windows and it confuses me then. Is
16 >> there some added complexity to getting the HDMI output working (including
17 >> audio) with a TV? Is there anything to look out for as far as compatibiliy
18 >> goes?
19 >>
20 >> And remote controls, the USB DVB-T unit comes with its own remote and
21 >> pretty much works out of the box even on linux. At least it works for the
22 >> basic up/down/left/right/enter, I really don't know enough to get any more
23 >> out of it.
24 >>
25 >> The MiniITX bundle I'm looking at comes with a remote designed for media
26 >> centres and looks to be a million times nicer than the one from the
27 >> receiver, but is there going to be a lot of trouble getting it working with
28 >> Lirc? I only know a teeny tiny bit about Lirc, I don't know what driver this
29 >> remote will use so I don't know if there's likely to be any compatibility
30 >> issue.
31 >>
32 >> As you can tell I'm not very hot on this stuff, so any
33 >> tips/help/suggestions would be much appreciated. I'd especially appreciate
34 >> if anyone could point to some known-good hardware for this purpose.
35 >>
36 >> Thanks
37 >>
38 >> Matt
41 > For the remote i suggest the ps3 bd controller. It uses bluetooth so, it's
42 > omnidirectional and works with mythtv:
43 >
44 > http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Sony_PS3_BD_Remote
45 >
46 > Hamilton
49 That looks interesting, thanks for the reply. I guess I'll have to find
50 a bluetooth receiver to go with it, maybe i can find one onboard something.
51
52 Thanks