From: Hamilton Silva <hamilton.o.silva@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] any mythtv/set top box experts?
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 22:08:11
1 On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 7:21 PM, Matt Harrison <iwasinnamuknow@×××××××××.com
2 > wrote:
3
4 > Hi all,
5 >
6 > I've recently started to set up a mythtv box for my parents. I've found a
7 > USB DVB-T receiver which works perfectly and I've got the system up and
8 > running on some old hardware.
9 >
10 > Now I've been tasked with finding something small that can sit by their TV
11 > and do it all. I've been looking at MiniITX machines with the nVidia ION
12 > chipset that support 720/1080 HD playback and HDMI outputs.
13 >
14 > My questions are concerning the digital output and remote controls. I've
15 > only ever used HDMI/digital output on windows and it confuses me then. Is
16 > there some added complexity to getting the HDMI output working (including
17 > audio) with a TV? Is there anything to look out for as far as compatibiliy
18 > goes?
19 >
20 > And remote controls, the USB DVB-T unit comes with its own remote and
21 > pretty much works out of the box even on linux. At least it works for the
22 > basic up/down/left/right/enter, I really don't know enough to get any more
23 > out of it.
24 >
25 > The MiniITX bundle I'm looking at comes with a remote designed for media
26 > centres and looks to be a million times nicer than the one from the
27 > receiver, but is there going to be a lot of trouble getting it working with
28 > Lirc? I only know a teeny tiny bit about Lirc, I don't know what driver this
29 > remote will use so I don't know if there's likely to be any compatibility
30 > issue.
31 >
32 > As you can tell I'm not very hot on this stuff, so any
33 > tips/help/suggestions would be much appreciated. I'd especially appreciate
34 > if anyone could point to some known-good hardware for this purpose.
35 >
36 > Thanks
37 >
38 > Matt
41 For the remote i suggest the ps3 bd controller. It uses bluetooth so, it's
42 omnidirectional and works with mythtv:
43
44 http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Sony_PS3_BD_Remote
45
46 Hamilton