From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} 802.11n PCI-E 300Mbps with AP mode?
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2011 18:18:42
1 >> Should I need only one wireless card in my router to connect to both
2 >> the clients and a wireless bridge which is connected to the WAN?
3 >
4 > I think you need 2 cards in your router (one as host and one as client
5 > to the wireless WAN bridge), unless you use WDS.
6
7 Got it, thanks Paul. That's good news because it means I can use any
8 802.11n PCIe 300Mbps card with Linux drivers instead of worrying about
9 AP mode. I'll just use a 802.11g card in AP mode until there is
10 better support for 802.11n. The router uses most of the bandwidth
11 from the WAN.
12
13 - Grant
16 > WDS allows your access points to become repeaters while still
17 > functioning as access points, so you can have multiple APs and only
18 > one of them needs to be connected to the wired network (as long as
19 > each AP is within range of at least one other AP).
20 >
21 > The cost of WDS this is that your available bandwidth is basically
22 > halved (and if you have to support 802.11b, it gets even slower).
23 > Depending on your expected usage, that might or might not be a big
24 > deal.