From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] dual-linuxdistro-boot kernel question
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 18:11:04
1 Neil Bothwick schreef:
2 > On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 17:45:37 +0200, Holly Bostick wrote:
5 >>Maybe under normal circumstances it is, but SUSE really doesn't seem to
6 >>like booting from Gentoo's bootloader when the SUSE kernel is on the
7 >>other partition (not in the /boot partition my Gentoo uses). Of course,
8 >>the SUSE kernel doesn't like to boot from 'normal' entries, either-- I
9 >>recall when I was still using LiLO, that I had to physically copy the
10 >>SuSE entry from SuSE's lilo.conf to the lilo.conf I was actually using,
11 >>because just adding a standard entry to point to the SuSE
12 >>kernel/partition wouldn't boot SuSE.
15 > When I was dual-booting Gentoo and SUSE, I let SUSE install its
16 > bootloader onto it's root partition and chainloaded it from Gentoo's
17 > GRUB. It saved any such hassle.
18
19 Ah... *there's* the missing link. Chainloading. One of my blind spots,
20 meaning that I don't know anything about it except wrt Windows, which
21 was and is no longer a factor. So I didn't try that wrt SuSE.
22
23 Thanks. I learn something new every day around here.
24
25 Holly
26 --
27 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list