From: "Marko Kocić" <marko.kocic@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Net / dhcp (miss)behaviour
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 18:03:53
1 On Jan 18, 2008 6:50 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Friday 18 January 2008, Marko Koci� wrote:
4 > > I'm running gentoo on my dual boot windows laptop.
5 > >
6 > > I use dhcp to connect to the the internet through cable modem.
7 > > Sometimes (in the evenings) it just fails to automatically obtain IP
8 > > address from dhcp server (timeouts).
9 > > I tried different settings in /etc/conf.d/net file (timeout and
10 > > different dhcpc options) and switching between dhclient and dhcpd,
11 > > but with no luck.
12 > >
13 > > When I reboot to windows it just works. I contacted my ISP, but they
14 > > said they don't give support for Linux.
15 > >
16 > > Is there a way to configure dhcp/dhclient to behave exactly like DHCP
17 > > in Windows XP?
18 >
19 > Where is the dhcp server? On the cable provider's network, or on the
20 > modem itself?
21
22 On cable providers network.
23
24 > I have found that dhcp can do weird stuff sometimes and Windows client
25 > don't always follow the standard method. Then again, what else is new?
26
27 > My first diagnostic step would be to get another machine on the network
28 > and sniff dhcp traffic when using Windows and Gentoo to see what the
29 > difference is.
30
31 I can't do that, cause I don't have switch/hub, just a cable modem directly
32 conencted to laptop.
33
34 I was looking for some magic "enable windows emulation mode" for dhcp.
35
36 > alan
39 Thanks,
40 Marko