From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Net / dhcp (miss)behaviour
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 17:57:42
1 On Friday 18 January 2008, Marko Kocić wrote:
2 > I'm running gentoo on my dual boot windows laptop.
3 >
4 > I use dhcp to connect to the the internet through cable modem.
5 > Sometimes (in the evenings) it just fails to automatically obtain IP
6 > address from dhcp server (timeouts).
7 > I tried different settings in /etc/conf.d/net file (timeout and
8 > different dhcpc options) and switching between dhclient and dhcpd,
9 > but with no luck.
10 >
11 > When I reboot to windows it just works. I contacted my ISP, but they
12 > said they don't give support for Linux.
13 >
14 > Is there a way to configure dhcp/dhclient to behave exactly like DHCP
15 > in Windows XP?
16
17 Where is the dhcp server? On the cable provider's network, or on the
18 modem itself?
19
20 I have found that dhcp can do weird stuff sometimes and Windows client
21 don't always follow the standard method. Then again, what else is new?
22
23 My first diagnostic step would be to get another machine on the network
24 and sniff dhcp traffic when using Windows and Gentoo to see what the
25 difference is.
26
27 alan
31 Alan McKinnon