From: John Jolet <john@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Startup Script Help
Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 18:48:38
1 Drew Tomlinson wrote:
2
3 > Every time there's a power outage at my home, my Gentoo box fails to
4 > start. This is because it attempts to configure the network via DHCP
5 > before my DHCP server has finished its startup. Thus I'm trying to
6 > think of a way to get the Gentoo box to "wait" a few minutes if DHCP
7 > fails on boot up. I've thought about making a simple script with the
8 > 'sleep' command and putting it in the boot runlevel but I really don't
9 > want it to wait on every reboot. Thus it seems there must be a way to
10 > modify the network startup script so that if DHCP fails, then it
11 > sleeps before trying again. Then maybe after so many DHCP failures,
12 > it finally uses a static configuration. However my scripting
13 > knowledge is limited so if someone would point me in the right
14 > direction, I'd really appreciate it.
15 >
16 > Thanks,
17 >
18 > Drew
19 >
20 and putting your dhcp server on a ups is out of the question?
21
22 try creating an /etc/rc.local and putting "/etc/init.d/net.eth0 start"
23 in it. then run it on runlevel 2 in your inittab.
24 --
25 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list