From: Drew Tomlinson <drew@××××××××××××××.net>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Startup Script Help
Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 16:36:14
1 Every time there's a power outage at my home, my Gentoo box fails to
2 start. This is because it attempts to configure the network via DHCP
3 before my DHCP server has finished its startup. Thus I'm trying to
4 think of a way to get the Gentoo box to "wait" a few minutes if DHCP
5 fails on boot up. I've thought about making a simple script with the
6 'sleep' command and putting it in the boot runlevel but I really don't
7 want it to wait on every reboot. Thus it seems there must be a way to
8 modify the network startup script so that if DHCP fails, then it sleeps
9 before trying again. Then maybe after so many DHCP failures, it finally
10 uses a static configuration. However my scripting knowledge is limited
11 so if someone would point me in the right direction, I'd really
12 appreciate it.
13
14 Thanks,
15