From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Removing pulseaudio
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2013 20:32:29
1 'evening, Stroller.
2
3 On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 09:02:36PM +0100, Stroller wrote:
4
5 > On 18 April 2013, at 20:32, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
6 > > ...
7 > > (i) It's a "sound server", a description I don't understand. What does
8 > > it _do_? Why do I want it? It seems to be an unnecessary layer of fat
9 > > between sound applications and the kernel.
10
11 > If you don't understand the term "sound server" you probably shouldn't
12 > be using Gentoo.
13
14 :-)
15
16 > When I'm watching a YouTube video I still want to hear my email client
17 > go bing or my chat program alert me of my buddy coming online.
18
19 > That's not possible if my web-browser has a hard-wired path into my
20 > soundcard and ain't letting go.
21
22 Thanks for the explanation, I'm beginning to understand what "sound
23 server" means. It's a sort of mixer, isn't it?
24
25 My email client (over an ssh session) goes bleep via my PC's internal
26 speaker, which I hear even when the other sound system is being used.
27
28 > Stroller.
31 Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).