From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Removing pulseaudio
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2013 20:03:42
1 On 18 April 2013, at 20:32, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
2 > ...
3 > (i) It's a "sound server", a description I don't understand. What does
4 > it _do_? Why do I want it? It seems to be an unnecessary layer of fat
5 > between sound applications and the kernel.
6
7 If you don't understand the term "sound server" you probably shouldn't be using Gentoo.
8
9 When I'm watching a YouTube video I still want to hear my email client go bing or my chat program alert me of my buddy coming online.
10
11 That's not possible if my web-browser has a hard-wired path into my soundcard and ain't letting go.
12
13 Stroller.