From: Kevin Chadwick <ma1l1ists@××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [Bulk] Re: [gentoo-user] Removing pulseaudio
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2013 20:30:48
1 > > ...
2 > > (i) It's a "sound server", a description I don't understand. What
3 > > does it _do_? Why do I want it? It seems to be an unnecessary
4 > > layer of fat between sound applications and the kernel.
5 >
6 > If you don't understand the term "sound server" you probably
7 > shouldn't be using Gentoo.
8 >
9 > When I'm watching a YouTube video I still want to hear my email
10 > client go bing or my chat program alert me of my buddy coming online.
11 >
12 > That's not possible if my web-browser has a hard-wired path into my
13 > soundcard and ain't letting go.
14
15 Just throwing out there that users can or atleast could use alsa plugs
16 to have multiple applications. I did that before pulseaudio came along
17 to play nfs carbon under cedega and listen to music.
18
19 Also I have never got around to looking into Jackd but isn't it meant
20 to be by far the best. I know pro audio users use it and I have heard it
21 is not the easiest to set up but is there any reason why it isn't the
22 default setup.
23
24 http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/JACK
25
26 From a quick look at this jack can hook up multiple applications that
27 seem to need to be set up individually. What's the scope for Jack
28
29 a./ replacing pulseaudio
30
31 b./ having a compat interface layer to make pulseaudio compatible apps
32 talk to jack
36
37 'Write programs that do one thing and do it well. Write programs to work
38 together. Write programs to handle text streams, because that is a
39 universal interface'
40
41 (Doug McIlroy)