From: "Nuno J. Silva (aka njsg)" <nunojsilva@×××××××.pt>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [Bulk] Re: Removing pulseaudio
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2013 19:50:32
1 On 2013-04-18, Kevin Chadwick <ma1l1ists@××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 >> > ...
3 >> > (i) It's a "sound server", a description I don't understand. What
4 >> > does it _do_? Why do I want it? It seems to be an unnecessary
5 >> > layer of fat between sound applications and the kernel.
6 >>
7 >> If you don't understand the term "sound server" you probably
8 >> shouldn't be using Gentoo.
9 >>
10 >> When I'm watching a YouTube video I still want to hear my email
11 >> client go bing or my chat program alert me of my buddy coming online.
12 >>
13 >> That's not possible if my web-browser has a hard-wired path into my
14 >> soundcard and ain't letting go.
15 >
16 > Just throwing out there that users can or atleast could use alsa plugs
17 > to have multiple applications. I did that before pulseaudio came along
18 > to play nfs carbon under cedega and listen to music.
19
20 It should be noted that ALSA users can have multiple applications by
21 doing absolutely nothing other than using ALSA and using the
22 applications they want to use.
23
24 > Also I have never got around to looking into Jackd but isn't it meant
25 > to be by far the best. I know pro audio users use it and I have heard it
26 > is not the easiest to set up but is there any reason why it isn't the
27 > default setup.
28 >
29 > http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/JACK
30 >
31 > From a quick look at this jack can hook up multiple applications that
32 > seem to need to be set up individually. What's the scope for Jack
33 >
34 > a./ replacing pulseaudio
35 >
36 > b./ having a compat interface layer to make pulseaudio compatible apps
37 > talk to jack
42 Nuno Silva (aka njsg)
43 http://njsg.sdf-eu.org/