From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Panning desktop on windows
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2009 21:10:13
1 On 31 Jan 2009, at 20:09, Harry Putnam wrote:
2 > ...
3 > I'm using a 17 inch monitor so that (in X) gives me a 2048x1536
4 > virtual resolution in each of my virtual desktops. Bigger than my
5 > monitor a fair bit so I'm able to pan around this monster by mousing
6 > to the screen edges which pans the rest into view. Essentially the
7 > limits of the hardware desktop are only a port hole into the bigger
8 > virtual desktop.
9
10 This is definitely available on Windows using 3rd-party apps.
11
12 I'm pretty sure that - years ago - Matrox used to offer to install
13 some utility when you installed their graphics drivers; the utility
14 had a little icon that sat next to the clock, and when you double-
15 clicked on it it opened a configuration window that offered options
16 like this.
17
18 Nvidia offer some really nice display utilities (or "enhanced driver"
19 or whatever you want to call it) these days. I would consider their
20 dual-head options worth the price of a graphics card, so I would see
21 if you can try them out somewhere & see if it offers this functionality.
22
23 Stroller.