From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Getting maximum space out of a hard drive
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2022 16:47:49
1 Dale wrote:
2 > William Kenworthy wrote:
3 >> What are you measuring the speed with - hdparm or rsync or ?
4 >>
5 >> hdparm is best for profiling just the harddisk (tallks to the
6 >> interface and can bypass the cache depending on settings, rsync/cp/??
7 >> usually have the whole OS storage chain including encryption affecting
8 >> throughput.  Encryption itself can be highly variable depending on
9 >> what you use and usually though not always includes compression before
10 >> encryption.  There are tools you can use to isolate where the slowdown
11 >> occurs.  atop is another one that may help.
12 >>
13 >> [test using a USB3 shingled drive on a 32 it arm system]
14 >>
15 >> xu4 ~ # hdparm -Tt /dev/sda
16 >> /dev/sda:
17 >>  Timing cached reads:   1596 MB in  2.00 seconds = 798.93 MB/sec
18 >>  Timing buffered disk reads: 526 MB in  3.01 seconds = 174.99 MB/sec
19 >> xu4 ~ #
20 >>
21 >> BillK
22 >>
23 > I copied that from a fair sized file in rsync's progress output.  I just
24 > picked one that was the highest in the last several files that were on
25 > the screen, without scrolling back.  No file system with compression
26 > since compressing video files doesn't help much.  Just ext4 on encrypted
27 > LVM on a single partition.
28 >
29 > I tell you tho, this new drive is filling up pretty darn fast.  I got to
30 > build a NAS or something here.  Thing is, how to put it somewhere it is
31 > protected and all.  A NAS won't exactly fit in my fire safe.  :/  Bigger
32 > fire safe maybe????  o_O
33 >
34 > Dale
35 >
36 > :-)  :-)
40 Well, 2.5 days later, first backup done.  Then I had to restart to
41 update the changes made in the past couple days that rsync didn't
42 catch.  When that got done, I wanted to close the drive and unhook it
43 but I'm getting that 'device in use' message.  Well, after some digging,
44 I found that extlazyinit process running and if memory serves me, that
45 is the process that creates the file system in the background.  I ran
46 into that before.  I think it was copying the files as fast as it was
47 able to create the file system to put it on.  I'll know next time I do
48 backups.  If this thing ever lets me disconnect the drive.  Oh.
49
50 Filesystem                       Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
51 /dev/mapper/10tb           9.1T  7.5T  1.6T  83% /mnt/10tb
52
53 I don't see that lasting to long.  :/  Yup, gotta come up with a plan.
54
55 Dale
56