From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Getting maximum space out of a hard drive
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2022 10:09:17
1 William Kenworthy wrote:
2 > What are you measuring the speed with - hdparm or rsync or ?
3 >
4 > hdparm is best for profiling just the harddisk (tallks to the
5 > interface and can bypass the cache depending on settings, rsync/cp/??
6 > usually have the whole OS storage chain including encryption affecting
7 > throughput.  Encryption itself can be highly variable depending on
8 > what you use and usually though not always includes compression before
9 > encryption.  There are tools you can use to isolate where the slowdown
10 > occurs.  atop is another one that may help.
11 >
12 > [test using a USB3 shingled drive on a 32 it arm system]
13 >
14 > xu4 ~ # hdparm -Tt /dev/sda
15 > /dev/sda:
16 >  Timing cached reads:   1596 MB in  2.00 seconds = 798.93 MB/sec
17 >  Timing buffered disk reads: 526 MB in  3.01 seconds = 174.99 MB/sec
18 > xu4 ~ #
19 >
20 > BillK
23 I copied that from a fair sized file in rsync's progress output.  I just
24 picked one that was the highest in the last several files that were on
25 the screen, without scrolling back.  No file system with compression
26 since compressing video files doesn't help much.  Just ext4 on encrypted
27 LVM on a single partition.
28
29 I tell you tho, this new drive is filling up pretty darn fast.  I got to
30 build a NAS or something here.  Thing is, how to put it somewhere it is
31 protected and all.  A NAS won't exactly fit in my fire safe.  :/  Bigger
32 fire safe maybe????  o_O
33
34 Dale
35
37
38 P. S.  Just made three more jars of pepper sauce.  Must have that to go
39 with peas and cornbread.  :-D