From: Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is rc.conf no longer used by Gentoo (baselayout-1.12.13)?
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 00:02:10
1 At Mon, 14 Dec 2009 22:55:35 +0100 pk <peterk2@××××××××.se> wrote:
2
3 > Allan Gottlieb wrote:
4 >
5 >> I know it is just one line in the shell
6 >> export PATH=$HOME/bin:$PATH
7 >> but I don't know what file to put it in.
8 >>
9 >> It would be acceptable, but not preferable, if this was set for all
10 >> users; the only requirement is that it is set for user gottlieb.
11 >
12 > For all users: /etc/profile (if using bourne derived shells like bash)
13 > or
14 > /etc/profile.csh (for c shell derivatives)
15 >
16 > For only your user: ~/.profile or ~/.bash_profile or ~/.bashrc or ~/.*rc
17 > or whatever is used for your particular shell dialect.
18 >
19 > HTH
20
21 Does that get sourced by the gnome panel so that launchers see it?
22 I hadn't thought so, but will try it.
23 Thanks.
24 allan