From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [SOLVED] gcc build fails during emerge system on new 64-bit install
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 05:45:52
1 Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 09:38:17PM +0100, Mick wrote
5 >> I'll repeat the advice I was given in this list sometime around last
6 >> Christmas (but can't find the thread now): you're bound to find some
7 >> pesky application which is only available in 32bit and then you'll
8 >> curse for having to reinstall.
9 >>
10 > If anything, I'll install a VM to run it in.
13 >> Have you tried setting -j1 and trying emerging it once more?
14 >>
15 > I *ALWAYS* have -j1 in /etc/make.conf. Anyways, it turned out to be
16 > something completely different. Whilst doing additional Google
17 > searching, I stumbled across "Foolproof Gentoo World Update Build Order"
18 > at http://foxpa.ws/tag/package-keywords/ and it was proof against this
19 > fool, too<G>. My problem was that the Gentoo install snapshot put in
20 > gcc-4.3.4, and "emerge --update world" pulled in gcc-4.4.3-r2. So far,
21 > so good. But after the first build, I forgot to gcc-config over to
22 > 4.4.3-r2 ... dohhhhhhh.
23 >
24 > Anyhow, after switching over, rebuilding gcc-4.4.3-r2, exiting,
25 > logging back in, unmerging gcc-4.3.4, and rebuilding glibc, I
26 > successfully emerged system and world. I'm now emerging xorg-x11.
27 >
28 > <RANT>
29 > Why on earth will xorg-x11 *NOT* build if I mask out various arabic,
30 > cyrillic, ethiopic, and jis fonts? My PC is *NOT* intended to be a
31 > kiosk machine at UN headquarters fer-cryin-out-loud.
32 > </RANT>
36 For future reference, after you switch gcc, you should run env-update
37 and source /etc/profile. Then you don't have to log out and back in
38 again. One could argue that one is easier than the other tho. ;-)
39 Depends on the length of the password I guess.
40
41 Dale
42