From: Arve Barsnes <arve.barsnes@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] problems with depclean
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2019 05:07:14
1 On Mon, 14 Oct 2019 at 05:04, John Covici <covici@××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Hi. After a long time, I got my system into a state where I could
4 > finally try to do emerge depclean. What a mess! It would have
5 > deleted source for my running kernel, version of postgresql I am using
6 > and many other things I am currently using. Some of them, at least
7 > are in my world file. Some things are not and should be and I can fix
8 > those, but there are a lot of libraries as well and I want to make
9 > sure my system is not completely hosed before I run this again -- next
10 > time after an update.
11 >
12 > So, how can I protect myself against depclean going wild?
13
14 If you use an older slot of the kernel or postgres, you need to put
15 them in world to stop them from being depcleaned. I don't know how
16 postgres upgrades work in gentoo, but deleting the kernel sources are
17 usually no big deal unless you plan to re-compile that particular
18 version. Just make sure you have your config in /boot or something.
19
20 I would assume that after adding any other programs you use to world,
21 any libraries it wants to remove are actually not in use.
22
23 Regards,
24 Arve