From: John Covici <covici@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] problems with depclean
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2019 07:22:42
1 On Mon, 14 Oct 2019 01:06:54 -0400,
2 Arve Barsnes wrote:
3 >
4 > On Mon, 14 Oct 2019 at 05:04, John Covici <covici@××××××××××.com> wrote:
5 > >
6 > > Hi. After a long time, I got my system into a state where I could
7 > > finally try to do emerge depclean. What a mess! It would have
8 > > deleted source for my running kernel, version of postgresql I am using
9 > > and many other things I am currently using. Some of them, at least
10 > > are in my world file. Some things are not and should be and I can fix
11 > > those, but there are a lot of libraries as well and I want to make
12 > > sure my system is not completely hosed before I run this again -- next
13 > > time after an update.
14 > >
15 > > So, how can I protect myself against depclean going wild?
16 >
17 > If you use an older slot of the kernel or postgres, you need to put
18 > them in world to stop them from being depcleaned. I don't know how
19 > postgres upgrades work in gentoo, but deleting the kernel sources are
20 > usually no big deal unless you plan to re-compile that particular
21 > version. Just make sure you have your config in /boot or something.
22 >
23 > I would assume that after adding any other programs you use to world,
24 > any libraries it wants to remove are actually not in use.
25 Thanks, I do need the current sources, lots of packages want to check
26 them and the linux directory entry points to the sources, packages are
27 always looking in there when I emerge them.
31 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
32 How do
33 you spend it?
34
35 John Covici wb2una