From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] udev and init.d. Should it be running now?
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 21:07:26
1 Hi folks,
2
3 I was browsing around and noticed that I now have a udev in
4 /etc/init.d/. I checked, it is not running but udevd is not running
5 either. See below:
6
7 > root@smoker / # /etc/init.d/udev status
8 > * status: stopped
9 > root@smoker / #
10 > root@smoker / # ps aux | grep udev
11 > root 30451 0.0 0.0 1888 504 pts/0 R+ 16:04 0:00 grep
12 > --colour=auto udev
13 > root@smoker / #
14
15 This is the baselayout that is installed:
16
17 > [I--] [ ] sys-apps/baselayout-1.12.11.1
18
19 I seem to recall that baselayout 2 is going to be a service thing but
20 since I am on baselayout 1, should this be running? It seems to belong
21 to the udev package tho according to this:
22
23 > root@smoker / # equery belongs /etc/init.d/udev
24 > [ Searching for file(s) /etc/init.d/udev in *... ]
25 > sys-fs/udev-141 (/etc/init.d/udev)
26 > root@smoker / #
27
28 You can see from that what udev version is installed too. I also
29 checked the elogs and I see no mention of it being changed to a service
30 or that it needs to be added to a runlevel.
31
32 Also, keep in mind, everything works fine. I just don't want to add it
33 to boot or default runlevels and then break something.
34
35 Thanks for any advice. I searched the forums and udev on g.o but didn't
36 see anything relevant.
37
38 Dale
39