From: Mike Williams <mike@××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Apple external booting (WAS: What list for Mac Mini?)
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 11:03:16
1 On Monday 31 October 2005 23:11, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > Thanks for the info. So if yaboot is on the internal drive already
3 > then yaboot can get to an external drive as easily as internal, right?
4 > I'm thinking is sort of like
5 >
6 > /dev/sda is the internal drive with it's OS x partitions. Yaboot is there.
7 >
8 > /dev/sdb is my external 1394 drive. Tell yaboot to go there and it
9 > finds a Gentoo kernel to boot? Or is it more complicated? Does yaboot
10 > want to find an Apple kernel to jump to?
11
12 I've got yaboot set to ask me if I want to boot OSX or Linux (linux being the
13 default), if I hit x for OSX it will pass control over to the OSX partition
14 specified and it will boot, otherwise I get the option on what linux kernel
15 to boot.
16
17 > An individual on the gentoo-ppc channel pointed me here:
18 >
19 > http://hansmi.ch/articles/boot-linux-from-firewire
20 >
21 > He suggested all of this stuff is possible. Seems pretty cool.
22
23 Indeedy. Although he doesn't say how to get it to run yaboot instead of just
24 booting the first bootable partition it finds (i.e. the OSX partition on the
25 internal drive). I'd put the bootstrap bootblock before the OSX partition on
26 the internal drive.
27 If OSX is on HFS+, you will need to turn off journalling before you can
28 move/resize it from linux tools. Some simple command line program to run from
29 in OSX, but I can't remember what it was :)
32 Mike Williams
33 --
34 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list