From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Apple external booting (WAS: What list for Mac Mini?)
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 23:18:17
1 On 10/31/05, Mike Williams <mike@××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Monday 31 October 2005 22:41, Mark Knecht wrote:
3 > > So I'm game to give it a try. You say I need to hold c when I power on
4 > > to get it to see the Gentoo PPC install disk?
5 >
6 > > yaboot is the Apple boot loader? Like grub? (I'm a total Apple newbie)
7 >
8 > yaboot is the linux ppc bootloader, more akin to lilo than grub though.
9 > It requires a special bootloader partition, that is 800k (you don't get any
10 > option on size, it's 800k), and it must go *before* the OSX partition
11 > (luckily, OSX doesn't care if it's partition number changes, so you can move
12 > it around).
13 > I was able to resize, and move my OSX partition. I think I used mac-fdisk to
14 > resize, and parted to move.
15 >
16 > You can do the rest of the install without harming OSX in anyway obviously,
17 > just not boot it :)
18 >
19 > --
20 > Mike Williams
21
22 Thanks for the info. So if yaboot is on the internal drive already
23 then yaboot can get to an external drive as easily as internal, right?
24 I'm thinking is sort of like
25
26 /dev/sda is the internal drive with it's OS x partitions. Yaboot is there.
27
28 /dev/sdb is my external 1394 drive. Tell yaboot to go there and it
29 finds a Gentoo kernel to boot? Or is it more complicated? Does yaboot
30 want to find an Apple kernel to jump to?
31
32 An individual on the gentoo-ppc channel pointed me here:
33
34 http://hansmi.ch/articles/boot-linux-from-firewire
35
36 He suggested all of this stuff is possible. Seems pretty cool.
37
38 The reason I'm interested is that I could use the 1394 drive as a data
39 drive running Ardour and do my tracking under x86 Gentoo. Later I
40 could move the drive to the Mac Mini and do my mix down under either
41 Gentoo or OS X. One drive - two machines - three OS's. Fun.
42
43 thanks,
44 Mark
47 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list