From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Can we get users more involved in specific testing?
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2013 14:49:43
1 hasufell <hasufell <at> gentoo.org> writes:
4 > >> I have often had a hard time to get some random users comment on
5 > >> certain packages or even assist on some runtime tests. I don't even
6 > >> know how many people use the package I maintain.
7
8 > > When a new package is installed or upgraded, there are notes that the
9 > > installer is optioned (and notified upon installation) about the
10 > > package. Might it be a good idea to put your testing pleadings
11 > > in the notes for those how install the package (stable, testing,
12 > > experimental or overlay) about how to contact whoever related to
13 > > the specific testing you want done? I. E. "eselect news" or is this
14 > > a bad idea?
15
16 > I think people will not like having that in eselect news. There could be
17 > a similar thing like: eslect test-requests
18 > but the question is if that will get bloated and other stuff I'm not
19 > sure about.
20
21 Other than news, folks will not read it. As long as the announcement
22 is short!: TESTERS_WANTED (url to details), then you hit the specific
23 group, actually using the software; responding because they care. It
24 affects them directly. Futhermore, they can quickly become the best
25 testers, because most will use the target package, frequently.
28 > The easiest thing I can think of is a project site on our wiki which
29 > would also point to relevant bugs. Then again... who really wants to
30 > maintain that.
31
32 This approach will fail, because it is a blunt instrument. Too many will
33 get the managerie of info about things they can little for (zippO)....
34
35 > All other ideas are even more advanced.
36 > I wonder if we could add a keyword on bugzie like REQUSERTEST... so
37 > bored users could easily get a list of such bugs. But who would really
38 > use that?
39
40 Bugzilla is a wonderful, but BLUNT instrument, hence few bother with
41 filling bugs. Gentoo devs are very picky about what get's filed
42 so for Gentoo issues, FOCUS on where the actual users can be reached, with
43 a focused message, imho. I. E. request testers from the pool of folks
44 that actually install a given package. Ya don't have to get folks to
45 test things like portage, cause we all use it and care about it and bitch
46 about it (that is until Zac took it over and slaid the deamon_portage.
47
48 A given ancillary package usually has few users, so find a way to
49 communicate with those packages_installers as the pool for potential
50 testers, with whatevery instrument you like. Mathematically, blunt
51 instruments fail more than 99% of the time, particularly the tigher
52 the desired end result is.......
55 Besides, most do not read the ebuild notes availabe in the 'eselect news',
56 imho.
59 ciao,
60 James