From: the <the.guard@××××.ru>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Can we get users more involved in specific testing?
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2013 05:55:38
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 On 11/14/13 18:48, James wrote:
5 > hasufell <hasufell <at> gentoo.org> writes:
8 >>>> I have often had a hard time to get some random users comment
9 >>>> on certain packages or even assist on some runtime tests. I
10 >>>> don't even know how many people use the package I maintain.
11 >
12 >>> When a new package is installed or upgraded, there are notes
13 >>> that the installer is optioned (and notified upon installation)
14 >>> about the package. Might it be a good idea to put your testing
15 >>> pleadings in the notes for those how install the package
16 >>> (stable, testing, experimental or overlay) about how to contact
17 >>> whoever related to the specific testing you want done? I. E.
18 >>> "eselect news" or is this a bad idea?
19 >
20 >> I think people will not like having that in eselect news. There
21 >> could be a similar thing like: eslect test-requests but the
22 >> question is if that will get bloated and other stuff I'm not sure
23 >> about.
24 >
25 > Other than news, folks will not read it. As long as the
26 > announcement is short!: TESTERS_WANTED (url to details), then you
27 > hit the specific group, actually using the software; responding
28 > because they care. It affects them directly. Futhermore, they can
29 > quickly become the best testers, because most will use the target
30 > package, frequently.
33 >> The easiest thing I can think of is a project site on our wiki
34 >> which would also point to relevant bugs. Then again... who really
35 >> wants to maintain that.
36 >
37 > This approach will fail, because it is a blunt instrument. Too many
38 > will get the managerie of info about things they can little for
39 > (zippO)....
40 >
41 >> All other ideas are even more advanced. I wonder if we could add
42 >> a keyword on bugzie like REQUSERTEST... so bored users could
43 >> easily get a list of such bugs. But who would really use that?
44 >
45 > Bugzilla is a wonderful, but BLUNT instrument, hence few bother
46 > with filling bugs. Gentoo devs are very picky about what get's
47 > filed so for Gentoo issues, FOCUS on where the actual users can be
48 > reached, with a focused message, imho. I. E. request testers from
49 > the pool of folks that actually install a given package. Ya don't
50 > have to get folks to test things like portage, cause we all use it
51 > and care about it and bitch about it (that is until Zac took it
52 > over and slaid the deamon_portage.
53 >
54 > A given ancillary package usually has few users, so find a way to
55 > communicate with those packages_installers as the pool for
56 > potential testers, with whatevery instrument you like.
57 > Mathematically, blunt instruments fail more than 99% of the time,
58 > particularly the tigher the desired end result is.......
61 > Besides, most do not read the ebuild notes availabe in the 'eselect
62 > news', imho.
65 A seperate mailing list?
66